Culture Differences

Discuss the problems that can occur in relationships with differing cultures and help overcome any barriers that exist.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Chocolatey

Culture Differences

Post by Chocolatey »

What top tips would you give to anyone who is about to start a relationship with someone from a different culture?

PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Educate yourself on his culture, teach him your culture. Compromise on both. Sometimes you have to celebrate Ramadan and Christmas. Is that so bad?
At a certain age, everyone has baggage. It's just a matter of carrying it with grace.
Nabil40

Post by Nabil40 »

you so much right PR. they have to understand where the other is coming from. not only to understand it but to accept it too. and then they should work on each others culture and believes.

xxx
Semsema

Post by Semsema »

That your culture, ideas etc are not necessarily perfect. Patience and understanding of differences. A willingness to embrace the differences and whilst you may not believe in everything of the other culture, keeping an open mind.
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

PRchick wrote:Educate yourself on his culture, teach him your culture. Compromise on both. Sometimes you have to celebrate Ramadan and Christmas. Is that so bad?
Very, very true.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think we are all bound by a cultural straitjacket, which is really hard to shake off. Understanding someone else's culture might not necessarily mean you can live with it for the rest of your life.

I feel it takes two special people to really make it work... and of course there are a lot of them around :)
Giulia79

Post by Giulia79 »

take the best from both cultures and make your own one.There is no perfect culture in this world......intelligence and respect are the only ways to understand the differences .
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

I agree with all that’s been said and especially with PR, in todays world the ability to combine multiple cultures should be applauded.

I also think that when two people are from completely different cultures you have to be open and realistic. You WILL come across certain situations that you don’t agree on or due to which, you clash and quite badly. Agree a code of conduct when that happens, as in, you don’t begrudge the other or bring it up afterwards.

Certain traditions are so ingrained that you cant escape them and why should you feel that you have to for your partner?

But equally, you have to be willing to allow the other person to bring their traditions in too.
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.