Windows Live Messenger/hotmail

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hepzibah

Windows Live Messenger/hotmail

Post by Hepzibah »

[face=Comic Sans MS]When chatting with friends using this service please be careful.

Over the last few days I've been in conversation with a friend in Egypt and periodicly a message link has appeared in the written message section appearing to be from them. This has not been the case so we have avoided opening them.

Knowing that my friend has no access to the net today (I understand Egypt has been cut out of the network due to a cable problem in Italy!) I was very surprised just now when they appeared to log in. When I checked it was another link that appeared to be from them and yet they were not showing online at that point. Something is not right about this!

(I tried to post this in warnings - didn't realise I needed 25 posts :roll: moderators please feel free to move.)[/face]

Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

I vaguely remember seeing something about this from MSN and I believe they've rectified the problem with a security patch or something (I'm not very technical)....

I recently upgraded to the new 'BETA' and I hate it, if anyone can tell me if I can go back to the older version or not I'd appreciate it.
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
Hepzibah

Post by Hepzibah »

[face=Comic Sans MS]It has been suggested (on the blue side) that my friend has downloaded some free smilies or similar and I'm now paying the price by having the interruptions.

I always decline these 'free' extra smilies etc but I suppose I'm stuck with the consequences if someone I communicate with has accepted them. It just pays to be aware and alert.
[/face]
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

S4M - I just upgraded mine to the Beta - and I ain't liking it either!
All my little smiley emoticon things have tiggered off!
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

I haven't been able to sign into messenger for 4 days now, I'm sure it's a problem with Beta and not me! Think I'll start investigating if I can un-install it and go back to the previous version.
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

Since they cut the line - I haven't been able to get onto MSN either.
I managed to open it last night and get on it - but don't think I had enough bandwidth to do anything and it just froze up - so I'm back to using the chat in my yahoo email until they improve the cables under the sea again.
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

Just to let you know I've successfully un-installed Beta and gone back to the previous version. :)
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

Sharm4me wrote:Just to let you know I've successfully un-installed Beta and gone back to the previous version. :)
Oooh! So how did you do that then?!?!?
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

Un-install messenger from the control panel, then go to msn.com website and download messenger again - you automatically get the old version!
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

If you have System Restore operating (it is on by default) you can use it to restore your computer back to the point just before you did the Beta update. You can find it in All Programs/Accessories/System Tools
I have done that a couple of times when something new went belly up and messed other stuff up. :)

Be aware that you DO NOT loose emails, documents etc that you created/received after the restore date. They are all still retained.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.