Taxi Drivers

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Taxi Drivers

Post by Hurghada Lady »

I have heard many people complaining about the taxi drivers and being fiddled out of money.

Many people have said they have given the taxi driver the money, for example 50le and the taxi driver says they have only been given 50 piastres.

Some of the people that have been ripped off this way say they know that they have given him 50le but they have been on their own and didn't want the trouble so just paid the amount asked for again.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Spike

Post by Spike »

All the time Hurghada Lady,

Maybe it would just be easier to walk!

I now just get in, ask them to put the meter on with the usual response that it's broken (bull) I arrive at my destination and then pay the amount i think (usually from when the meter does work)

What methods does everyone else use to not get robbed by the Taxi's
Jonjo

Post by Jonjo »

8)I allways ask before i get in the taxi,found that to be easy way of dealing with the problem.
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Being more used to the Luxor variety of taxi where you are lucky if it has a dashboard never mind a meter, it is always the best policy to ask the price beforehand, if he knows his way around he will know the price :) As for the 50 piastra note scam, the easiest way is always to draw attention to it when you are paying him. They are nothing like each other, so if you say something like "I only have a 50LE note, do you have change" before handing it over to him.
Semsema

Post by Semsema »

After the car was smashed the other week I had to take taxis to and from Magawish to El Nasr Road.

It takes me approximately 15 minutes to drive.

The first taxi cost me 9.27 LE that was with 5 LE on the meter, the second cost me 8.66 with 3 LE on the meter.

It just goes to show how we get ripped off.

The favourite scam is when the tourists get into the taxi, arrive at their destination and the taxi driver says 25. The tourist asks if that is Euros. He says yes. Compared to prices in the UK that is quite reasonable.
Nabil40

Post by Nabil40 »

even f i do not face that problem anymore , as i have my own car. but we always recommend to check the price before getting in . and it is always better to have enough change to pay with. as they will never give u the rest. and u have always to set in the back seat. and if the driver goes fast ask him to slow down. because it is really dangerous .

and good luck ..

xxx
Mairsy

Post by Mairsy »

Anywhere that I go in Hurghada I always pay 10le. They always try to get you to pay more if you are either going to a Tourist Place or coming from one. The marina is the worst for this. Just stick to your guns and if you agree a price, get in and he changes his mind, tell him to stop the car and just get out. There are so many taxis in Hurghada you'll never be stuck.
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

A very different experience to Luxor taxi's then. I think all of us seasoned users Have a diffrent method. We just get into the taxi and ask for the destination. ON arrival we just pay what is a reasonable fare. Basically for a very short 2-3 minute journey about 5LE, for something a bit longer, say ferry to TV Street it would be 10LE. Going out to Karnak or the Sheraton perhaps 15LE, Movenpick 20LE
I have never had a driver question the fare I give him since I started using this method. Mind you I often have to navigate the route for them :roll:
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

We don't have metered taxi's here in Sharm. It depends where I get the taxi from as to whether I agree a price beforehand or not. If I get one from my flat I just get in and when I get to where I'm going I get out and hand him 10le through the window that way if he argues it's not enough I just walk away and tell him that's all he's getting. If I get a taxi in Naama Bay I always ask how much, they always over inflate the price as they think I'm a tourist and don't know any better. I then tell them how much I'm willing to pay, they usually want more, I then start to walk away and then they say ok ok....
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
Miriamkhalifa

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

Reading this brought back memories of how everything was before I got married :lol: Now we have our own car and IF we go in a taxi anywhere hubby always pays, seems like he pays 5 for anywhere on either bank (Luxor)
***Beam me up Scotty***
Hurghadatouristguide

Post by Hurghadatouristguide »

The best one we got from a taxi when telling him to put the "tac-tac" on was on arrival back to the apartment he told me his meter wasd in dollars lol.
I went from Hadaba Rd to El Kawser said on meter 4something so tried to charge nearly 2 quid 20l.e
Needless to say he got 5 l.e and was sent off with a flea in his hear :D
Ebikatsu

This guy needs our support

Post by Ebikatsu »

Nabil40 wrote:and if the driver goes fast ask him to slow down. because it is really dangerous .

xxx
I got this in an e mail today

http://www.may-day.me/7801.html ( for pics of crash)

On the 1st May 2008, Phill & Sandra Palmer were on a coach trip from Sharm-El-Sheik to Cairo, to see the Pyramids.

At 5am their coach crashed catastrophically in the Sinai Desert, two and a half hours from the nearest help.

Ten people died and many more sustained horrific injuries that day.

This website has been created to raise awareness of the dangers that face tourists in Egypt, who like Sandra & Phill Palmer, thought they were in safe hands.

If you know someone travelling to Egypt, please send them this web address: www.may-day.me

:(