The world changed today....

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Susue

The world changed today....

Post by Susue »

Today is the 8th anniversary of 9/11.

I'm just watching "live footage of the event" as it happened at the time.

It's bringing tears to my eyes.....

Not just the huge loss of life.... but the change in people's attitues to the Arab and muslim world!!

Yes I know most intelligent people realise that the people involved in the attacks were a fanatic minority..... but unfortunately... here in the USA and worldwide , many people are still very wary of Arabs and muslims!!
Many Americans still associate Islam with radicalism and terrorism.... not with peace!!

Sad.... but true!!

New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: The world changed today....

Post by New Gal »

Susue wrote:Today is the 8th anniversary of 9/11.

I'm just watching "live footage of the event" as it happened at the time.

It's bringing tears to my eyes.....

Not just the huge loss of life.... but the change in people's attitues to the Arab and muslim world!!

Yes I know most intelligent people realise that the people involved in the attacks were a fanatic minority..... but unfortunately... here in the USA and worldwide , many people are still very wary of Arabs and muslims!!
Many Americans still associate Islam with radicalism and terrorism.... not with peace!!

Sad.... but true!!
Totally agree Susue, my life definitely changed, my work, family life and the fact that as a British Muslim, I was forced to choose which identity meant more to me to be able to be accepted by my peers has definitely shaped my life a lot.

I was 19 when 9/11 occurred and I absolutely feel that out of the awful attacks on the Twin Towers, we have created an enemy of a whole religion and its followers, the vast majority of which are only concerned with being able to feed and clothe their families.

The world truly changed.
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Susue

Post by Susue »

The strange thing is... everybody remembers what they were doing when it happened!!

I was at the gym on a treadmill, watcing it on a TV screen....
I thought it was a movie or something.... didn't think for a minute it was news!!!
When we realised it was real... it was as if time stood still!!!!

The whole world was in shock that day!!!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

I was at work, was taken off the shop floor and told that if I had any opinions contrary to those of others, I should keep my mouth shut. Despite the fact that I was crying at the time :cry:

Ignorance has much to answer for :x
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Susue...

Post by New Gal »

...were you in the States at the time?
Susue

Post by Susue »

New Gal wrote:I was at work, was taken off the shop floor and told that if I had any opinions contrary to those of others, I should keep my mouth shut. Despite the fact that I was crying at the time :cry:

Wow..... that's awful!!!!
People are so ignorant sometimes!!
Did they expect you'd be cheering and applauding !!!???

Muslims were as shocked as the rest of the world.... and many of the people in the twin towers were muslim too!!!

Don't you just hate the human race sometimes???
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Susue wrote:
New Gal wrote:I was at work, was taken off the shop floor and told that if I had any opinions contrary to those of others, I should keep my mouth shut. Despite the fact that I was crying at the time :cry:

Wow..... that's awful!!!!
People are so ignorant sometimes!!
Did they expect you'd be cheering and applauding !!!???

Muslims were as shocked as the rest of the world.... and many of the people in the twin towers were muslim too!!!

Don't you just hate the human race sometimes???
Thats it and its not like I am proper devout or perceived to be, I was stood there in cut off jeans and a tank, this manager and I had been out on staff do's etc, she knew exactly what I was all about and could see I was just as upset as anyone else.

Its just that perception of "shes brown, shes the same" :roll: :roll: :roll: whatever dude!
Susue

Re: Susue...

Post by Susue »

New Gal wrote:...were you in the States at the time?

No I was in England.... I was much the same as you.... looking forward to moving to Egypt.
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

You are right i remember exactly what i was doing, i was at work, and my colleague shouted come and look at this what do you think this is, when i looked at the TV screen and realised what it was i was witnessing i just knew that life would never be the same again, and i cried, not just for the loss of human life and the sheer magnitude of it, but for the way of life so many of us would loose, and subsequently have.
Such a tragedy.