Where and why?

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Where and why?

Post by Christine »

As this poor old neglected redside is suffering a big lack of interest lately, i thought i would ask if many of you have travelled extensivley in the Land of the Pharoahs, and i know some of us have, so where have you been, why did you go there and which was youre favourite place.
I will start with my beloved Luxor, i first went there 16 years ago with Alan, it was my early 40th birthday present he said (2 years early ??), i loved it on sight, the colour ,the smells ,the people, the nile,
Felluca sailing just has to be the best way to travel ever, so serene, so peacefull, so relaxing.
I have many many friends there made over a long period of time and we are still in constant touch, they taught me my limited arabic, invited me into thier homes and thier hearts and thats where i like to be most i think, the bazaars are amazing, the temples flood lit at night a romantic's dream.
Even the hassle you here about is all part of Luxor Life.
Its a city divided between the West Bank and East Bank, and either side ahve something to offer, from the bustle of the city side (east) to the more tranqill west bank, more rural, but dont be fooled it hides some true gems like " Habu" a small village and a wonderfull temple.
Ive also visited , Aswan on a couple of occasions , Philae temple my fav there.
Been to Abu-simbel and the high damn etc while in the Aswan area.
Ive been to Cairo, my least favourite place, did a 5 day break there and a whirlwind sight seeing tour of the main sights in the smog and the dust and the heat and the traffic!! well second least actually as i now remember a short visit to Sharm-el-Sheik, didnt like it there at all, very man made touristy stuff, just my opinion though.
Have visited Abydoss, Dendera, and Edfu, couple of times during Nile cruises and a couple of independant trips.
And of course Hurghada several times now, good and repeatable, if you are looking for sun and sea, snorkelling and quieter hotel pool sides.
While i think of it some good fishing is to be had here.
And the best fish restaraunt in Egypt.
I have a few buddies here as well, so thats about my potted history of some of my places and where and what i like the best........... come on lets be hearing from some of you :?: :) :)

Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

My first time in Egypt was to Marsa Alam, 3 years ago.

I then visited Hurghada in December after changing my plans to move to Sharm because of the advice and opinions of people on the forum here. I fell in love with the place immediately.

When moving out I flew into Sharm and spent a couple of days there and while I liked the place, it was very plastic and expensive.

Since I've been here I've visited Cairo, Giza, Sharqiyah, Zaqaziq and some of the rural farm towns. Loved the rural areas, Zaqaziq was a blast for me, the only foreigner in the city ;) Cairo I can live without personally.

I intend to visit Luxor and Aswan but I'm still totally in love with dirty, smelly, noisy Hurghada at the moment :D
Susue

Post by Susue »

Good thread, Chris!
I first came to Egypt in 1997 on a one-week Nile cruise. It was from Luxor to Aswan.... we loved every minute!

In January 2002, after a traumatic time (Split from husband after 29 years,,, and Mum died Christmas eve... I needed a break.
Went to travel agent, and said I need a cheap sunny week somewhere. He rang me an hour later... and said he'd found a nice cheap week at the Hilton in Hurghada.
I told him to book it.
I realised I didn't even know what Country it was in (I was thinking Turkey or Cyprus) I had to ring travel agent back... who informed me it was Egypt.

After that week, I went back 11 times, before I decided to go live there... stayed 4 years.

In my time there, I went to port Said (lovely place.... clean!) Cairo, (good for shopping!)
Luxor (definitely not my favourite place)
Dahab (definitely my favourite!!)
Sharm (just ok)
Never been to Alex... everyone says it's lovely!

We'll probably be back in winter . To Hurghada to see friends, and Dahab, just to chill!

Also.... I've scuba dived all over the world.... the Red Sea is still the best diving!
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Susue, we will ahve to book a trip to Alaexandria together some time as ive not been yet either!!
We could rope KarenH in on that as she hasnt either and have a girlie ;)
Susue

Post by Susue »

Add Cocoa on too...... the 4 of us out on the razzle...... Look out Alex!!! :lol: :d2: :dance3: :bumps:
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Everybody says how lovely Alex is - it's high on my list of places to visit as I have 2 friends in England who hail from there...

Looks like you ladies got yourselves a driver ;)

Lee
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Bless ya heart scooter, but we would look like a circus act all 4 of us balanced on the "Honda Melody" now wouldnt we. :lol:
Oh bugger it we could invite a few more and hire a mini bus , he he he look out Alex indeed :!: ;)
Jacuzzijo

Post by Jacuzzijo »

A trip down memory lane.....hope thats ok.

My first steps on Egyptian soil was in the early 80's to Dahab, shortly after it was handed back to Egypt....backpacking! At that time it was just a collection of Bedoin huts - you could rent one for $1 per day and had to chase the camels out in the evening. One day we walked up to the road and waited for about an hour for a car to come past to get a ride to Sharm and visit the bank (had to knock on the bank managers door to get him to wake up and open the bank!) There was just a little village there at the time and I have some wonderful pictures of the deserted bay.
Since that time I have done a Cairo/Hurghada trip - loved it
Sharm - to take my grown son to show him the wonderful desert (which we couldn't access and found the place too modern and with no soul)
Nile Cruise Luxor to Aswan - wonderful trip - loved Luxor and all the antiquities
and now hoping to make Hurghada my second home.
p.s. If that minibus ever goes to Alexandria - count me in!! :le:
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

You gotcha self a seat , can you sing!! :lol:
Jacuzzijo

Post by Jacuzzijo »

If I need to! :clap2:
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Course ya do hon, cant have a mini bus full of Brits on holiday and not ahve a sing song now can we :lol:
And its quite a drive from Hurghada to Alex :!: x
Jacuzzijo

Post by Jacuzzijo »

You're absolutely right of course. Would singing in the school choir have counted and the odd (and I do mean odd) karaoke :d2:
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

Woo Hoo!!!! Give me a poke when you get to alex!!!!

Only got a few spare mins so may be easier to list places I haven't been!

Zagazig (so jealous NY!! Only wanted to go there for the name - just souns so funky!!)

Dahab - everyone says that's nice - anyone been?
Arish - heard lots about this place too
Berenice - wanted to get there before the crowds but fear I may have left it too late.
Suez.
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
Susue

Post by Susue »

Christine wrote:Course ya do hon, cant have a mini bus full of Brits on holiday and not ahve a sing song now can we :lol:
And its quite a drive from Hurghada to Alex :!: x

Chris.... If I'm on the trip... you might regret the singing thing!!!
I love singing.... really loudly.... but I'm totally tone deaf!!!
People and animals run when I sing!!!! :x
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Ha ha then you terrible singing can hide mine, so sing up honey sing up, we dont care, the louder the better. :!: :!:
When in the mood which is often i actually convince myself that i can hold a tune, and am totally oblivious of the fact that im in a one woman minority :roll: i carry on regardless :lol: :lol:
I find that singing medicine helps in this situation........... more vino :!: ;) :lol:
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Goddess if we ever get there, you will know as there will be this terrible din, :D and when you look you will see several drunken women pushing a mini bus singing!( the driver legged it somewhere near Safarga ):lol: :lol:
Jacuzzijo

Post by Jacuzzijo »

This trip is sounding better and better:D
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

:lol: :lol: @ Christine ~ Im definately there on trip with you , but the sigining i think i would drown everyone else!! just take ear plugs
I would love to see Alexandria seriously!
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Ah my little valchrisian is back :lol: sigining ??? oh right singing gotcha :lol: listen to me woman it is a prerequisite that you sing, no sing no seat :!: :lol: :lol:
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

earplugs for the driver ;)