A Music Quiz

A light-hearted section of Jokes - Text Games - Only In Egypt Photos and Videos - Brainteasers and General Fun Stuff to while away the spare minutes of your day.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Well done Christine :br: it was indeed The Searchers
(I used to have a suit like that :lol: )
I must confess that I used to go around singing "you know that gypsy with the Cockatoo" :lol: :lol: :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Next question:
What song did Jackie De Shannon record in 1963 that was later covered by The Searchers?
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Wow, that's a blast from the past, I think it'd be When You Walk in the Room
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

I had thought this could be Needles and Pins, one of my favourite searchers songs?
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Wow you guys are really trying!
You are both absolutely correct, but with different answers, so very well done to Lee & Christine :br: :br:

Jackie De Shannon did record the original version of “When you walk in the room” in 1963 a song that she also wrote. It was covered by ‘The Searchers’ in 1964

Jackie De Shannon also recorded the original version of “Needles and Pins” which was written by Sony Bono (also famous as the other half of Sony & Cher) and Jack Nitzsche. Again it was covered by ‘The Searchers’ in 1964

So I think we should have one of each, the first is Jackies own song, note how the Searchers version was an almost identical cover, but with the 'twangy' Searchers guitar work.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Needles and Pins was in my opinion a better cover by the Searchers than the original Jackie De Shanon version, however I struggled to find a decent version on YouTube that was made from the original recording. They are all either too loud, too soft or too recent, I suppose the problem is getting the right level of ‘twangyness’ for the guitars without it drowning out the lyrics.

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

I can remember a couple of years ago going to the "Kings Theatre" here in Portsmouth to see some-one or other, and they didnt show up, the " Searchers " were billed as the suppporting act , so naturally they took the stage and went through thier whole list, of songs, 2 hours of bliss they were fantastic, Needles and pins , had us standing up and swinging right along with the song. :) :)
They just dont make records like this any more :(
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Ok folks, an easy one saying as its Saturday :)

Salvatore Bono & Cherilyn Sarkisian LaPiere are better known as?
And what was their first major hit?
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Sony and Cher and it was " I got you babe "
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

^^
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Well done Christine, :br: it was of course the gorgeously lovely Cher when she looked all natural and hadn’t had her nose and everything else remodelled. And …… that ugly bleeder in that tatty old Mohair coat was Sonny Bono, both people making up the duo ‘Sonny & Cher’ She was part-Cherokee Indian on her mothers side.

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Oh bugger I missed the quiz and now it's all gone quiet :cry: Can we have some more Horus please :)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

He has said that he wont be concocting any more right now HL but who knows what he might do in the future ;)
Where have you been anyway, seems like ages since we saw you on here, yeah i know im nosey :)
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Well maybe I can come up with something - anybody fancy choosing a genre?

Comedy, Music, History, Esoteria, Retro TV programs? ;)

Fingers on the buzzer!

If we can agree on a good time for me to post, I'll try and post within 5 minutes of that time every day or two, giving everyone an equal-ish chance.
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Oh good man knew you would be usefull to have on board.
MUSIC please preferably 60's to early 90's, i kind of lost interest after that they all began to sound the same.
Or MOVIES,any! :)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Oh good man knew you would be usefull to have on board.
MUSIC please preferably 60's to early 90's, i kind of lost interest after that they all began to sound the same.
Or MOVIES,any! :)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Bugger:x Double post sorry bout that!
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Yeaaaahhhhhh Good one Lee! Any subject is good for me, I am equally as useless on all of them :roll: My buzzer is ready and waiting :lol:
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Christine wrote:He has said that he wont be concocting any more right now HL but who knows what he might do in the future ;)
Where have you been anyway, seems like ages since we saw you on here, yeah i know im nosey :)
I have been coming and seeing whats going on, but I have had a house full now since beginning of December, now I am down to one, Tunstall Mary, she is staying for 2 months going home 1st March. So we have been up to all sorts. Spike and Egypt Diver were here last week, they ran me off my feet also. We have also been playing Buzz quite a lot but one person keeps winning :x don't they Lee :roll:
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Hey, I have to disprove the myth about thick scousers ;)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Bless ya heart "hotel melanie" again then, you will need a rest especially if you have to put up with "scooter scouse" soon :lol: :lol: