Music from 60's 70's 80's

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Here you go HL these should work OK, I have also included a couple more for you including my own personal favourite ‘Sheila’
Sorry that the videos are a bit basic, but I chose to upload you the original songs and not a later more modern version, enjoy

Dizzy by Tommy Roe

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sheila: Note the backing drumming, brilliant so evocative of the era

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here’s a great cover version by Tommy Roe of Chuck Berry’s ‘Carol’

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Hey there, we shall have to start calling you Mr Music.
I remember the music of the Coasters, also remember Del Shannon.
My parents both liked The Platters do you remember them ?
I grew up listening to music like this .
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Great stuff Christine :) I will have to dig you out a few Platters records for you ;) but for now how about one of their best ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'

PS. I have an interesting little story about the Platters :)
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

What memories thats when music was music and you could actually understand the words,always loved that one from the Platters. Another one i love is Red Sails in the Sunset not sure who sang it,maybe the Platters :!:
Always keep your words soft and sweet just in case you have to eat them
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

'Red Sails in the Sunset' has been recorded lots of times, the original was in 1935 by Lew Stone. I am guessing that the one you remember is the 1960's version by 'The Platters' :)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

:tu: Horus and pleased you didn't think it was the 1930's version i was remembering ;)
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: :lol: It never crossed my mind ;)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Well "Smoke gets in your eyes" brought a tear to mine, lovely, Horus.
Now how about some Harbour Lights and of course "The great pretender"
Very ably covered by Freddie M , but the oldies are the best.
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

HP you are so right , you cant hear most of the words to modern music and then when you do half the time you wish you hadnt !!!!!
Im not old ( middling years), but they are so boring and repetative :)
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

The Great Pretender was indeed originally by The Platters and believe it or not was recorded 1955!
It was also recorded by the great Sam Cooke (1960) of ‘Chain Gang’ & ‘Twistin the Night Away’ fame. Others famous artists were Roy Orbison (1962), Bobby Vinton (1963), the late lamented Gene Pitney (1970) and of course the fantastic Freddy Mercury (1992)

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Hello Horus
Thanks so much for that, and im gald to see youve taken up the thread on musicals, that should keep our feverish little brains ticking over for a while.
Christine
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

So you a Freddie Mercury fan Horus......me too and loved him singing Barcelona but also at my husbands funeral i had Who Wants to Live Forever and Friends Will be Friends Forever played and everyone said the words brought lumps to their throats and tears to their eyes :)
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

I can't listen to any of these three, Dizzy, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes & The Great Pretender. Dizzy is the same problem as before. It keeps coming up with "This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions" yet I can listen to the others! I WANT DIZZY :x

Last edited by Hurghada Lady on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Ok back to the lists of songs we can think of.
In no particular order.

save your kisses for me= brotherhood of man
voulez-vous = abba
wigwam bam=sweet
all kins of everything= dana
3 steps to heaven = showadywady
jealous guy = roxy music
way down =elvis presley
bits and pieces=dave clark 5
zanadu= dave clark 5
diane= bahelors
heard it through the grapevine=marvin gaye
dont it make my brown eyes blue =crystal gayle
tears = ken dodd
the carnival is over=the seekers
needles and pins =the searchers
please release me=englebert humperdink
the last waltz=engelbert humperdink
2 little boys =rolf harris
tie me kangeroo down sport= rolf harris
oblade oblada=marmalde
happy birthaday sweet 16=neil sedaka
come on eileen=dexys midnight runners
tears on my pillow=johnny nash
all out of love = air supply
eternal flame = the bangles,( one of my favourite)
Deeply dippy=right said fred
im to sexy for my shirt=right said fred
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Another good list Christine :) As I read down I couldn't help noticing that you had included Zanadu :)
Here are a couple of songs with the name Xanadu in the title, both are classics

So hows about this then!

Dave Dee, Dozy, Mick & Tich……………….The Legend of Xanadu

Or…………….just………Xanadu…………..By Olivier Neutron Bomb!

Hopefully HL can view these :)
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Brilliant Horus.
Tell you what i hadnt listened to some of this music for a very long time, but now you have me digging through my stuff, its amazing how much i had actually collected over the years, and a sure sign of a miss-spent youth, transistor plastered to my ear all the time, locked in my room playing my music, getting shouted at by my parents............ happy days eh :lol: