What now for tourism in Egypt?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Horus
Top Member
Top Member

What now for tourism in Egypt?

Post by Horus »

One again we have the spectre of terrorism raising it's ugly head, regardless of who were the tartgets of these bombers, this is likely to devestate the tourist industry in Egypt once again :(

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

It was bad enough as it was, the only hope we had was the Euro exchange rate being so bad against the pound, people were encouraged to come here or Turkey. Now it looks like Turkey will get all the tourism !:x
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Sad to say HL but that is now very likely :) as you say, it was a choice between Egypt and Turkey for most Brits due to the poor exchange rate for Sterling. I just can never understand the motivation of these people, all they do is cause more poverty and distress for their own countrymen. Things like this just drive tourists away :o
Susu

Post by Susu »

It's very sad, as tourism is really the main industry of Egypt! :(
But it'll recover, same as it did after the Luxor 1997 terrorist act and the Sharm and Dahab bombings.
Just a thought.- I wonder if it'll make air fares cheaper!?
Semsema

Post by Semsema »

Our figures were very bad and not picking up until the end of March/April.

I think tourists will still come but will be very wary of going on excursions. It is such a shame because Egypt has so much to offer.

I can't see how this will affect air fares, after all it is the fuel surcharges which have pushed them up.
A day without Sunshine is like a night without Stars.
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

One of the longer lasting affects may be the reinstatement of the convoy system. The authorities may well decide that they need to eliminate any potential threat to tourists and once again impose travel restrictions on them. That will be a real pity as for most of us the relaxing of those rules meant being able to visit more places at leisure without being rushed around by over zealous policemen.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Horus wrote:One of the longer lasting affects may be the reinstatement of the convoy system. The authorities may well decide that they need to eliminate any potential threat to tourists and once again impose travel restrictions on them. That will be a real pity as for most of us the relaxing of those rules meant being able to visit more places at leisure without being rushed around by over zealous policemen.

I said exactly the same thing last night, the convoys will start again, what a shame.
Mairsy

Post by Mairsy »

Is any where in the world safe?

If you look back over the last few years terrorists have bombed many different places and for varying reasons.

Having grown up in Northern Ireland I am only to aware of the devastating effect that terrorism can have on a country especially when it gets blown out of proportion by the media.

Hopefully the people being questioned at the moment in Cairo will be charged with the bombing and this can help restore confidence in Egypt.
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

I agree with mairsy ~
As for Turkey getting more tourisim, it also has its fair share with the bombings in Marmaris in the last year or two ~ Even good old blighty
Unfortunatley sometimes the specualtion in the media and the way they report it dosn.t help ~ I
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)