Driving in Hurghada

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Davidhurghada

Driving in Hurghada

Post by Davidhurghada »

Can anyone in local government enforce new driving laws, many drivers need lessons, driving tests ?

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

We have discussed this somewhere else on the forum David, I want an army tank for Christmas, painted red though make it look nice. I would enjoy myself so much with the taxi drivers and mini buses :lol:
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

Like many developing countries the standard of driving is often appalling. It is the age-old problem of where do you begin when issuing licences. In older Western countries the car was a gradual introduction with only the rich being able to afford them, then as people prospered or cars became more affordable the roads were improved or new ones added to accommodate the extra traffic. It was a gradual progression that allowed rules and standards to be set down. Regrettably in most developing countries a modern infrastructure and roads are often put in place without the resources to support them. You have to start somewhere and if that somewhere means that you just hand out licences with little regard to ability or driving skills then you finish up with a country full of bad drivers. The other problem is the policing of any traffic laws; the only way to improve things is to introduce improvements gradually but to enforce them rigorously. If for example you have a seat belt law, then you must enforce it severely with heavy penalties for offenders and not just pay the law lip service. In addition your police force needs to be well paid, well trained and corruption free in order to enforce the law, then you will see improvements.
Semsema

Post by Semsema »

I am sorry to be having yet another blonde day, but can someone please explain to me exactly what a 'developing country' is.

Egypt goes back to ancient times, how long does it take to 'develop'?

The sign at Sekalla: Your driving is a sign of our civilisation, says it all for me.
A day without Sunshine is like a night without Stars.
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

I would say that a 'developing country' was one where the technology that they now used was a relatively modern thing and nothing to do with its past history. So if for example Zimbabwe were to become the centre of the next big oil exploration by major companies then they would become the recipients of all sorts of modern technologies and an infrastructure that they do not now posses. Therefore if car ownership were at present say only 1% of the population it may in a very few years rise to say 25% without any additional changes to the skill level. This could result in people who are capable of driving a vehicle in a hit and miss fashion on dirt roads with few hazards, suddenly finding themselves with the same skill level driving on motorways and in large city centres.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Driving standards in Egypt are a bit of a sore point after having our new car driven into by a truck driven by a kid of 9 or 10 & then being told "No police its a child & there will be trouble" Hopefully there was as the police were less than amused at a tourist being hit, can't help feeling if we had been locals they wouldn't have cared :roll: