Problems with ATM Machines

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Problems with ATM Machines

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Has anyone else tried to get money from an ATM machine in Hurghada, neither the money has not been dispensed or a receipt to say void.

I have had this happen a few times and the money has been taken from my account, I have argued with my bank in U.K. and the bank here all to no avail !!!

Mairsy

Post by Mairsy »

Yes this has happened to me but the money didn't come out of my account.

I did hold onto the receipt just in case.
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

I never have any luck with ATM machines using my English cards seems that they're all different when they ask which account you want to take money from I always seem to choose the wrong one and the transaction fails! someone please tell me which option you should choose when taking from your current account or from your credit card? It's lucky I have an Egyptian account so don't need to use it that often but if I'm not near my bank it would be handy to know the right buttons to press!
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

I'm so relieved that other people have the which button to press dilemma!
I never know whether to press 'current', 'checking' or 'savings' so I normally just swirl my finger round and jab checking. So far it has never been offended by my choice.
ATM's do seem to be out of action a lot more than they are in the UK - and it really annoys me when it lets me go through the whole process and then tells me it can't proceed. But on those occassions I am really wary of it and keep the receipt and check it online at a later date as it once did tell me it couldn't proceed and then took the money out of my account anyway. The bank cleared it up quite quickly though - they just had to get in touch with the machine records at the Egyptian bank and went from there. Some people have said that cash is being dispensed after you give up and walk away - so it might be worth hanging on for that extra bit just to make sure you aren't giving a freebie to the foot tapping person waiting behind you.
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Don't you have a branch of HSBC in Hurghada? The one in Luxor is always on the ball.
I can remember a few years ago drawing cash from the Bank of Egypt (I think) and it gave us more than requested(and shown on the slip) as we found out once we got home. We used it again the following week and it only gave us the right amount. I had to restrain Fran from going in to the bank and demanding the baksheesh that it gave us last time :lol:
Lisak

Post by Lisak »

When I was in Zanzibar, I needed to use the cashpoint and held up the queue whilst I worked out how many '0's I needed to add at the currency is something like 1,000 to the £1, and of course, you can't put a comma in to seperate the numbers. I wanted to get out the equivelent of £50 and ended up getting just £5 as I hadn't put enough '0's in, well I suppose it was better than putting in too many and getting £500 out by mistake.
I needed to take some more out when I was back in Tanzania and it has never been taken from my account!
Wealth comes like a turtle and goes away like a gazelle. (Arabic proverb)
Crazycat

Post by Crazycat »

I used a bank of Cairo atm in Cairo and it said it was keeping my card, while I stood there panicing wondering what I was going to do it spat my card out and then the money. Never used one again!
crazy by name.....crazy by nature :snig: