Archaeologists in Egypt unearth 57 ornate ancient tombs

Egypt has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Kevininabydos

Post by Kevininabydos »

From the guardian today.
Associated Press in Cairo
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 23 May 2010 18.25 BST
Article history
Archaeologists have unearthed 57 ancient Egyptian tombs, most of which hold an ornately painted wooden sarcophagus with a mummy inside, it was announced today.

The oldest tombs date back to around 2750BC during the period of Egypt's first and second dynasties. Twelve belong to the 18th dynasty which ruled Egypt during the second millennium BC.

The discovery throws new light on Egypt's ancient religions, the country's Supreme Council of Antiquities said.

Egypt's archaeology chief, Zahi Hawass, said the mummies dating back to the 18th dynasty are covered in linen decorated with religious texts from the Book of the Dead and scenes featuring ancient Egyptian deities.

Abdel Rahman el-Aydi, head of the archaeological mission that made the discovery, said some of the tombs are decorated with religious texts that ancient Egyptians believed would help the deceased to cross through the underworld.

Aydi said one of the oldest tombs is almost intact, with all of its funerary equipment and a wooden sarcophagus containing a mummy wrapped in linen.

In 31 tombs dating to around 2030-1840BC, archaeologists discovered scenes of different ancient Egyptian deities, such as the falcon-headed Horus, Hathor, Khnum and Amun, decorating some of the tombs.

The findings were unearthed at Lahoun, in Fayoum, 70 miles south of Cairo.

Last year, 53 ancient stone tombs were found in the area.

Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Nice to see u over here Kevin, is there any indication yet, when the tombs will be open to public viewing? :D It would be well worth a visit i would ahve thought :)
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Image Image
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

Thanks for that link honey very interesting, i love finding out more and more about this country dont you? its fascinating :)
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Christine wrote:Thanks for that link honey very interesting, i love finding out more and more about this country dont you? its fascinating :)
i know plenty actually but at the moment prefer to look and read .
im back soon got a wedding to go too then i am on a mission .
Image Image
Christine
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Christine »

You coming back, lovely, where to??
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Christine wrote:You coming back, lovely, where to??
got to go to near Al Arish 45mins from there got 4shops being built i got a little stake in this but i want my share cause i am not interested now .
And second ma cousin is marrying i like to be there which will be near xmas time .So me wait and see .
Image Image