One for Susue

Share your experiences, tips and advice of diving and snorkeling in the Red Sea.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Netyoda

One for Susue

Post by Netyoda »

Hi,

Any advice on Red Sea Diving College?

They claim to have the highest instructor pass rate in Sharm, they also offer :

"If you complete you training with us we will give you five Specialty Instructor ratings for FREE (excluding PADI certification fee) and if you wish to return to us when we are completing another Specialty program you can do more FREE for life!!!"

They're also about 500 euros cheaper than Emperor and their info looks more professional.

Regards,

Lee

Susue

Post by Susue »

Hi Lee.

I don't know them.... don't really know any Sharm DC's.... but I had a look at their website... and I agree they look like a very professional outfit.... the fact that they do Tek diving and IDC's.

What I would want to know is how often they do IDC's... as they need to be followed immediately by an IE.... otherwise you forget all the stuff you learnt. It's no good having a huge gap between them.
Ideally you can finish your DM cert.... and go straight on to IDC, while the theory's still fresh in your head.... and follow immediately with the IE.
An examiner has to come from the UK for the IE.... so it needs some coordination.

But.... back to your question.... yes they seem like a professional and good DC, I'd give them a try if theprices are good.... but how does Sharm fit in with your plans..... I thought you were aiming for Hurghada?
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

To be honest I've never been to either Sharm or Hurghada, I was looking at Hurghada as the most positive feedback from the forums seemed to be based around Hurghada.

To begin with I'll take any work that's going, I can always move on later when I've established myself in Egypt.

They have dates for the IEs - the one that fits in with me is April 9th, which would let me get my DM and a month's internship before doing the IDC and taking the IE, then I would do another month's internship probably while looking for a job.

Another option is to work as a videographer, as I was kindly sent info by karenH today by a company looking for an u/w videographer. I've contacted them and if that's successful I'll splash out on an u/w vid kit rather than DM/IDC as I can then get more experienced at diving while earning a crust flogging DVDs, and what a life it would be filming the beauty of the Red Sea.

Options are opening up but at the moment they seem to be mainly in Sharm.

Lee x
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

Lee I hope you hear back from the company.. To be honest the difference between sharm and Hurghada from my perspective is that Sharm and sourrounding areas (Namma Bay, Nabq, White Knights,Sharks Bay etc)are purpose built and just for the tourist, old Sharm is more egyptian although small. Dahab further up the coast is also good for diving and more like egypt whilst Hurghada which I prefer is although has lots of tourists is more egyptian like Dahab and bigger than old sharm.

If i hear of anything else i will pm you the details.
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Thanks again!

To be honest, if I manage to land myself a job immediately, I'll probably to too busy to notice where I'm living ;)

NG is going to be mad at me if I end up living in Sharm now tho!

Lee
Susue

Post by Susue »

Underwater videography is no picnic..... it's bloody hard work!!
You have to lug your diving stuff and video stuff to a DSC every day... usually a different one each day....
You have to do every dive.... often with 4 groups of divers...
You have to show the video and 'sell' it to the divers after you get back to the DC...
Then you have to go back and do the DVD's... and deliver them to the divers' hotels in the evening..... it's a 15-hour day at least!!
Also.... a lot of video companies will make you work at least a year contract to pay back the training you had.

I had 2 friends that did it.... both hated it...one actually got on a plane and fled Egypt to get out of the contract!

IMHO IDC is definitely the way you go!!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

I never venture in this section but thought I would visit and then I saw my name!

Lee-Lee, I am holding you to free lessons and as for being mad at ya, hell no, means I wont have to fork out for a hotel when in Sharm :lol: :lol:
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Thanks Susue,

you've defrinitely got me worried about that now ;)

I won't require any training to pay back, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Ideally I'd work 3 days a week but I don't know if any of the DCs will go for that.

So... I'm going to invest in a little Bonica setup (£250 from a "mate" ;)) and give that a tryout in December.

If, when I come out, Videography is the only option available, THEN will I splash out on some decent kit.

It did worry me a bit that these jobs are usually done on a commission only basis and while I love videography and editing, the thought of spending every evening zooming around hotels on my little moped selling the DVDs does worry me somewhat.

I'm definitely getting a video setup as I want to document my new life in Egypt, so YouTube will be getting hammered by me ;)

I think I'm going to get to Hurghada then make some decisions:
Work as a Divemaster (one company interested) £2k cost
Work as an instructor £3.5k cost
Work as a videographer £2k cost
Work as a web designer - no cost but no diving if salary isn't good
Work in a bar or restaurant - no cost but no diving if salary isn't good
Do bugger all - no cost, no diving ;)

NG if I can find work in Hurghada then that's where I'll be going :D

Lee