Dive Companies

Share your experiences, tips and advice of diving and snorkeling in the Red Sea.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Netyoda

Dive Companies

Post by Netyoda »

Probably one for Susue:

I'm looking to move from Rescue Diver to PADI Instructor.

I've seen a few companies that look good,

Emperor
Regal Dive (HQ in Uk by the looks, prices look good tho)
Red Sea Relax Resort (Dahab) - they do the whole caboodle for 3.5k with free accomodation (dorm) and breakfast.

Any other recommendations?

Cheers,

Lee

Susue

Post by Susue »

Lee... You know I'm a great fan of Emperor...as their instructors are top-notch.... as are the instructors at Dive Point.
For your courses you'll get at least an MSDT (master Scuba Diver Trainer.... higher than just OWSI, which is a basic instructor!)
Regal Dive, as far as I remember, are in El Gouna. It'll take you an hour on the bus each way to get there.
If you're going all the way to El Gouna.... Dive Tribe (English-run) is a far better centre.
Really..... I'd ask Emperor up-front what your employment prospects are too!!

I wouldn't advise Red Sea Relax.... I had an instructor friend who had worked there.... he wouldn't recommend it.
Also... the other bad thing about doing your courses at Dahab....
You knbow I love Dahab.... it's a wonderful place.... my favourite part of Egypt....
BUT... (BIG BUT!!)
All the dives in Dahab are shore dives..... there are no boat dives!! For professional training, you really need boat dive experience.... especially for "learning to teach" .

I think I said before.... you can get cheaper courses.... and money is an issue (as it is with most of us!) But really.... you get what you pay for in most cases in diving!!
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Thanks Susue,

Top notch advice as usual!

The Relax package wasn't the cheapest but it was the only "all in one" that I've found.

I'm probably going to buy all the PADI manuals etc over here as they seem to be a fair bit cheaper.

Emperor would be my favourite, I just need to get full info and prices and yes, I've already told them that I'll be asking for a job once qualified ;) Aftrer diving and working with them for 2 months they should get to know me well and be used to having me around, so here's hoping!

Lee
Susue

Post by Susue »

Lee.... try e-bay for the manuals.
You'll need the Instructor manual (can be got in book form or CD. They used to insist on the book.... not sure now!
A RDP (recreational dive planner)
An RDP wheel (unless they've done away with teaching the wheel)
The teaching cards (Plastic waterproof cards that prompt you what to teach for each stage of a course)
The Encyclopeadia of recreational Diving... and the workbook that goes with it.
This would all work out much cheaper if you can get it through e-bay or Amazon.

Also.... I did my courses in 2003..... stuff might have changed by then!

Remember the PADI initials...

Pay
Another
Dollar
In !!!

It's expensive at first.... but worth it if you want to go pro!!!
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

[quote="Susue"]Lee.... try e-bay for the manuals.
You'll need the Instructor manual (can be got in book form or CD. They used to insist on the book.... not sure now!
A RDP (recreational dive planner)
An RDP wheel (unless they've done away with teaching the wheel)
The teaching cards (Plastic waterproof cards that prompt you what to teach for each stage of a course)
The Encyclopeadia of recreational Diving... and the workbook that goes with it.
This would all work out much cheaper if you can get it through e-bay or Amazon.

Also.... I did my courses in 2003..... stuff might have changed by then!

Remember the PADI initials...

Pay
Another
Dollar
In !!!

It's expensive at first.... but worth it if you want to go pro!!![/quot e]
Hi sue ,
Took the girl to the red sea in easter but we only done top water looking into .
Bought the girl a wet suit but cause of illness for next year she wants to go diving ,i was told i got to get a medical pass ,but i can get this from england or even egypt ,i think i got to pay top notch in egypt .They wont teach her the basics for diving if she dont have the go ahead and have to show insurance .Can you clarify what and mean please ,of course i wont let her go down under if i thought of one element of danger ,they wont allow me i got refused .
Image Image
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Hi Cocoa,

You can either lie on the medical form you fill out (if she has a serious condition then I wouldn't recommend this) or pop to your doctor and get a letter. There's a form you can take to him, I've uploaded it to:

http://www.netyoda.co.uk/books/PADI_Medical.pdf

Hope this helps.

Lee
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Netyoda wrote:Hi Cocoa,

You can either lie on the medical form you fill out (if she has a serious condition then I wouldn't recommend this) or pop to your doctor and get a letter. There's a form you can take to him, I've uploaded it to:

http://www.netyoda.co.uk/books/PADI_Medical.pdf

Hope this helps.

Lee
Shukran Netyoda ,but its a seen medical condition and no can lie ,and if i did and something happend my insurance company wont pay out here .
Thanks i am look at it now ,i am glad they are strict in asking once upon a time it would never been asked ,but they was so strict in Easter with her and treated her as gold and me no i can only look from the top :( but she really wants to do this and with the dolphins this is her wish .
Image Image
Netyoda

Post by Netyoda »

Well snorkelling or diving with the dolphins at the horseshoe reef is amazing.

Even if the dolphins don't put in an appearance it's pretty special.

Lee
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Netyoda wrote:Well snorkelling or diving with the dolphins at the horseshoe reef is amazing.

Even if the dolphins don't put in an appearance it's pretty special.

Lee
I know she is getting very excited even if its not until Easter ,i have to get it all planned from every detail nothing can go wrong Insha ,She reads it all up and memorises it the plans ,one thing altered and wham its a set back .
I took her to an Aquarium here in norfolk when they had some dolphins ready to be put back to see and its like she knew what they was saying ,yes your right its going to be so amasing we cannot wait .Thanx downloaded link ..
Image Image
Susue

Post by Susue »

Cocoa.... PADI want to know that your daughter's go no pre-existing conditions that will jeopardise her safety while diving.
You'll be asked to fill in a form at the dive centre, and if you tick "yes" on any of the health questions, you'll be asked to show your doctor's letter... it's very simple and easy.

From what I know of your little one... she's fearless and spirited, and she'll love the experience of diving!!

But... the dolphins don't always come when you want them.... they're wild animals as you know..... so hopefully she won't be too disappointed if they don't appear!!
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Susue wrote:Cocoa.... PADI want to know that your daughter's go no pre-existing conditions that will jeopardise her safety while diving.
You'll be asked to fill in a form at the dive centre, and if you tick "yes" on any of the health questions, you'll be asked to show your doctor's letter... it's very simple and easy.

From what I know of your little one... she's fearless and spirited, and she'll love the experience of diving!!

But... the dolphins don't always come when you want them.... they're wild animals as you know..... so hopefully she won't be too disappointed if they don't appear!!
Thankyou Suesue as you know she will have condition and it may effect her but i cannot say how it will progress frm now until then hopefully its slow progressing in this present time .But i carry medical cards for our conditions and good health insurance and doctors notes as well of approval ..I am looking forward to this we cannot wait .Inshallah she may see the Dolphins or not but she haas had exsperience of swimming with them so thats cool if she dont see them i can easily turn her thoughts somewhere else :)i think her just seeing the bottom of the ocean reef will be enough for her :) well not that far down :oops:
Yep you are right very spirited at the moment and too fast growing .
Image Image
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

Hi CocoaButter,hope your daughter is able to go diving and especially if the dolphins are around.How old is she? even if she can only manage to snorkel it will be a wonderful experience for her :) Keep posting on here you put some very interesting things on even if your English is a bit difficult to understand at times but for sure your english is better than my swahili as only ever managed to master one or two sentences of it,take it that is your spoken language being a Kenyan ;)
Always keep your words soft and sweet just in case you have to eat them
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Hurghadapat wrote:Hi CocoaButter,hope your daughter is able to go diving and especially if the dolphins are around.How old is she? even if she can only manage to snorkel it will be a wonderful experience for her :) Keep posting on here you put some very interesting things on even if your English is a bit difficult to understand at times but for sure your english is better than my swahili as only ever managed to master one or two sentences of it,take it that is your spoken language being a Kenyan ;)
nope dont speak swahlli understand some lingo but nope my famlyy come from Mainland Mombassa and then mainly from South Africa Ndola and Malawi ,they speak Kutch and a slang you could not even right on here ,Mombassa has changed my cousin has married and come over now she is not liking it one bit ,the only thing i could not tolerate was waiting for water when i was last out there ,wake up in the morning with my cousin Bapu and take the Big tub down to the resevoir ,worse still was the no toilets flushed .We used to sneak into the Mobassa hotel but they had same problems :)
You been Ambosili ..
Image Image
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Hurghadapat wrote:Hi CocoaButter,hope your daughter is able to go diving and especially if the dolphins are around.How old is she? even if she can only manage to snorkel it will be a wonderful experience for her :) Keep posting on here you put some very interesting things on even if your English is a bit difficult to understand at times but for sure your english is better than my swahili as only ever managed to master one or two sentences of it,take it that is your spoken language being a Kenyan ;)
I am blind in one eye i am so sorry .
Image Image
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

No never been there but have been Mombasa and Nairobi and surrounding areas.So whats your spoken language then? if you have lived in South africa is it Afrikkans,you say your family speak kutch so do you mean dutch because i know that is what Afrikaans is based on,and don't apologise for your english as i know it's a hard language to master.i can speak Araby and have learned to read it and write it of a sort :roll: but don't think i could write here on the forum in Araby.So then how did you meet your egyptian husband and what part of egypt does he come from? :)
CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter »

Hurghadapat wrote:No never been there but have been Mombasa and Nairobi and surrounding areas.So whats your spoken language then? if you have lived in South africa is it Afrikkans,you say your family speak kutch so do you mean dutch because i know that is what Afrikaans is based on,and don't apologise for your english as i know it's a hard language to master.i can speak Araby and have learned to read it and write it of a sort :roll: but don't think i could write here on the forum in Araby.So then how did you meet your egyptian husband and what part of egypt does he come from? :)
Ewwwwwwww husband many moons ago here in UK .
Image Image
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

So you met him in the UK so what was his occupation here and was it easy for him to get his visa to the uk.
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

So you met him in the UK so what was his occupation here and was it easy for him to get his visa to the ukand what brought you this green and wonderful country :roll:
Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat »

Whoops double post sorry :oops: