Shipping

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Shipping

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Has anyone shipped their belongings from their home country to Egypt? Could you please advise us how things progressed, was it easy or were their problems, how much did you pay at customs?

Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

I haven't shipped anything over from the UK but I did use a courier service when I moved from Luxor to Sharm. It was very good everything arrived in tact the next day....
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Do you mean like ship over all your possessions in a container or using the Egyptair cargo service? I do know of one member on the blue side who shipped in a container who had a real horror story with loads of stuff broken and 2 weeks spent in Cairo and Alex trying to get it released. Two other people we know have done it with no problems at all, one from the UK and the other from Holland.
Regarding using cargo on Egyptair, I know of several people who have had good experiences with that method. You need to ship a minimum of 55KG to make it worth while because they have a minimum fixed charge and then pro rata.
Here s an extract from their pricing:

Charges for shipping personal effects to Luxor, as follows:

Freight charges gbp1.00 per kilo (minimum charge gbp55.00)
Handling charge 7.8p per kilo (minimum charge gbp18.50)
Security charge 7.8p per kilo (minimum charge gbp 9.60)
War risk insurance 9p per kilo
Fuel surcharge 50p per kilo
Customs fee UK gbp 13.50
Customs fee LXR 10p per piece (minimum charge gbp 1.00)
Air waybill fee gbp 6.00

Delivery will be to the following:

Egyptair Cargo
c/o Menzies MW5
Building 582
Sandringham Road
Heathrow World Cargo Centre
TW6 3SN

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

OMG! Did she finally get it released, where was it shipped from?
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

It came from the UK but I don't know which docks it was exported through. Yes, eventually her agent in Cairo took over and sent her back to Luxor saying "they have seen your face enough now so I can take over for you". The container eventually arrived later that week I believe. But as I said, all her sentimental glassware was smashed :(

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Spike

Post by Spike »

Not good, What about on a flight, anyone know cost of that?

We could import Bacon on mass!
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Spike, see my post above. Those are the standard charges for Egyptair freight on the plane. You would need to get someone in the UK to act as your shipping agent and have them pack and ship your box of goodies.

One of our local shops, Amra market, has a 55Kg crate flown out each week full of those hard to get in Egypt items :) I think he negotiated a special rate and has to ship a crate every week or pay even if he doesn't.