Stupid Prices in Egypt ???

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Stupid Prices in Egypt ???

Post by DJKeefy »

* WARNING * This is a RANT :)

After living here for many years, sometimes when i go to the supermarket (not Omar's in Luxor) another one which is open 24hr, I sometimes have a rant with the owner of the supermarket over the prices (the Egyptian owner has lived in the UK for years and understands me 100%)

Now im not been selfish, im thinking of the normal Egyptians who earn from around 300le to 500le a month.

For example a Gillette Mach 3 in the box with 2 blades and a small shaving cream costs 70le (£7)... so anyone on a average wage in the UK would work over an hour to be able to buy this and have a decent shave, here in Egypt someone on an average wage would have to work up to 1 week to but one :(

A box of Cleopatra cost 3le which for a European its a good price, in the UK you would work about 1 hr for a packet of cigarettes, here you would work about 3hrs.
A bar of cadburys chocolate is 3le the same price as the Cleopatra cigarettes, in the UK you probably get 10 bars for a price of cigarettes if a bar costs 50p

STOP, I was gonna post lots more examples but im winding myself up - RANT OVER :x

Sharm4me

Re: Stupid Prices in Egypt ???

Post by Sharm4me »

DJKeefy wrote:* WARNING * This is a RANT :)

For example a Gillette Mach 3 in the box with 2 blades and a small shaving cream costs 70le (£7)... so anyone on a average wage in the UK would work over an hour to be able to buy this and have a decent shave, here in Egypt someone on an average wage would have to work up to 1 week to but one :(
Most Egyptian men go to the barbers for their shaves so they probably don't buy razors or if they do they ony buy the cheap ones...you have expensive taste Keefy, your shopkeeper knows he can sell these things to foreigners for whatever price he likes! Same with chocolate Egyptians buy the really cheap stuff....
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Yes! What about my small box of Quality Street and they were off, 100le
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

:lol::lol: bet you were gutted
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

100 LE for quality street! Wow!!!! And I'd have been gutted if I spent that much on them and they were off!
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
PRchick

Post by PRchick »

Hurghada Lady wrote:Yes! What about my small box of Quality Street and they were off, 100le
What is that?
At a certain age, everyone has baggage. It's just a matter of carrying it with grace.
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Mixed, soft centred chocolates from Cadbury PR