Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Egypt is a country with an immense cultural mix, In every major city in Egypt you will find traditions that remain from the time of the Pharaohs , and in other parts you will find pure tribal customs that were brought in by many invaders throughout the centuries. That contradiction and contrast between areas of Egypt, when you compare it with other Middle Eastern countries, is what makes Egypt seem advanced against some of the others. Yet here you will find that the customs and mentality tends to be full of warmth towards visitors and foreigners. I guess this could be the secret why Egypt is considered the most attractive country in the region for travellers. The pure nature of the local Egyptians when they are always there when you need help, or when they invite you into their houses when they hardly know you, or when they smile in your face, makes a visit to Egypt a wonderful and unforgettable experience.

Egypt’s population is about 67 million. 57 million of them are Sunni Muslims and about 10 Million are Coptic Christians (Christian Egyptians), although public statistics indicate that they are not more than 7 million. Whether Muslim or Copt, the Egyptians are moderately religious and religious principles are quite noticeable in their daily lives. Here each family member is responsible for the integrity of his or her family and for the behaviour of other members, creating an environment that would be envied by many people in the West. Here they are very close to each other, family ties are far stronger than in the west, and that is why you will find any major city in Egypt is a lot safer than any western country.

Yet when travellers come to Egypt they are often apprehensive, their views of Egyptians and Arabs, fomented by unkind and untrue media stories, often bear no relation to reality. Travellers, when they meet Egyptians are often surprised by their friendly, hospitable reception and take home with them good feelings about Egypt and its population.

Egyptians form a society of a mixture of Middle Eastern family standards, taken from the different religious rules, whether in Islam or Christianity, it creates a sort of background that can colour their decision-making in a way difficult for foreigners to understand, yet it is precisely this training that makes Egyptians some of the most charming and helpful of hosts. By understanding the culture and with consideration for your hosts, you can be a welcome guest in Egypt.

In general, Egyptians are most accommodating and they will go out of their way to help you and respond to any questions you have. Most Egyptians require little personal space and will stand within inches of you to talk! You will find that whenever you start talking with an Egyptian, you will inevitably draw a crowd, and often the Egyptians will start discussing, among themselves, about the correct answer to a question.

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

I am glad that my first experience of Egypt was pre- 9/11.
After 9/11 Muslim's got a really bad press and those who were and still are ignorant tar them all with the same brush. Coming to Egypt, has widened my perspective. I find the majority of people welcoming and friendly and would give you their shirt off thier back if they thought you needed it.
I can only comment on the Egyptians I have met from Cairo down to Aswan, but, as long as you understand that most of them will ask for baksheesh, try to take you to a next-door-neighbours-cousins-sister-in-laws-brothers shop, or do something that will annoy you at some point during your visit, you'll be ok.
That post might sound quite negative, but it isn't meant that way, what I mean is as long as you expect it, treat it with humour, you'll be fine.;)

For eg. When myself and a friend went to El-Kab, we needed to break away from the convoy at the rest stop. Anyone who has been to that rest stop knows how persistant the sellers are there, anyway, after we'd done El-Kab, we had to wait at the rest stop for about half an hour for the convoy coming from Cairo. We sat with all the sellers and had a chat and a laugh, never once did any one of them try to sell us anything.
However, as soon as the convoy arrived, and we stood up, all of the sellers started their banter on us and would not leave us alone.
Could not help but laugh!
Horus
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Horus »

You summed that up nicely Lisa :) I think that you really know that you have arrived when they take their hands out of your pocket and treat you as an Egyptian, then you know you have made a friend :)