Ramadan

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Chocolatey

Ramadan

Post by Chocolatey »

Well we are half way through the holey month of Ramadan - do you fast - do you know anyone that fasts - what changes do you notice in people during this month.....

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

They don't open the shops most of the day and half of the evening! Also very irritable, mind you I have to say so would I be if I was to fast!
Semsema

Post by Semsema »

I drink during the day - coffee/tea/water before you think it might be alcoholic.

Sorry but it is my least favourite time in Egypt. All the guys at work get so bad tempered, bad breath, bad body odour.

Sarcastic comments like 'oh you are not joining us then?'.
Mairsy

Post by Mairsy »

Hurghada Lady wrote:They don't open the shops most of the day and half of the evening! Also very irritable, mind you I have to say so would I be if I was to fast!
Rumour has it that you will be supporting your husband next year and taking part in the fasting??????????????

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the wonderful spiritual event
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Yes Mairsy and that is all it is a rumour and it will stay that way. Can you imagine me without a coffee??
Miriamkhalifa

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

I was in luxor beginning of ramadan and I loved it, so quiet and nice :) Just what I needed after a busy summer :) Of course I am lucky, hubby brought me food in our flat every afternoon, as noone was cooking and we were not going to any restaurants during the day :)
***Beam me up Scotty***
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

I have many friends who fast during Ramadan and apart from being irritable during the day and tired by the end of Ramadan, i don't really see a change. Life is slower I have noticed when I have been in Egypt during Ramadan but in general the tourist would not know ~
The first time I was ever in Egypt I was unaware that it was Ramadan until on the way back from a day trip, the coaches all stopped for the drivers and couriers to have breakfast
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

We had to stop using our normal taxi driver during Ramadan a few years ago. By mid afternoon he was totally out of it, slumping over the wheel whilst still driving :oo He had been unwell for a couple of days & had started to fast again & was obviously totally dehydrated but refusing water. I know he could have drunk but he wouldn't.
We find it very frustrating trying to get anything done during Ramadan. We had to buy a Vodafone dongle because we could not get our internet connection on. :x
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

What I find so odd is that the date for the end of Ramadan is kept a mystery until the last possible minute. Most locals here were expecting it to be today but the government announced last night it would be Wednesday. What is that all about??
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

I always thought that Ramadan was for a month and since it started on the 1st I assumed it would finish today or is it because theres only 30 days in September?
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

Everybody here thinks it finishes today... We've got the day off tomorrow for the first day of the feast too and I heard all the banks and government offices closed today until 5th October
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

BBLUX wrote:What I find so odd is that the date for the end of Ramadan is kept a mystery until the last possible minute. Most locals here were expecting it to be today but the government announced last night it would be Wednesday. What is that all about??
We were discussing this this morning. I was under the impression that Egypt used astronomical calculations to set the date of Ramadan etc. Mr G said that that is how it's supposed to work - but the only problem is Egypt uses these calculations - and THEN has to make a visual sighting of the New moon to make it official. That was why it was expected to be today (Based on the calculations) but has now moved to tomorrow because no one saw the moon. I did ask what happens if it's cloudy - but apparently there are several locations across Egypt where the observations are made - not one single location.

Technically the start of the month following Ramadan (Shawwal) cannot start until the moon has been seen. Supposedly this is true for all months - but I think they mainly rely on the calculations instead of actual sightings.

What I did think was odd was that Libya started on the 29th, Saudi on the 30th - and yet the country inbetween them later!
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

If they do that in the UK Ramadan could last for a couple of months :roll: I still don't understand the logic of Libya, Saudi Egypt thing though :?
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Goddess wrote:We were discussing this this morning. I was under the impression that Egypt used astronomical calculations to set the date of Ramadan etc. Mr G said that that is how it's supposed to work - but the only problem is Egypt uses these calculations - and THEN has to make a visual sighting of the New moon to make it official. That was why it was expected to be today (Based on the calculations) but has now moved to tomorrow because no one saw the moon. I did ask what happens if it's cloudy - but apparently there are several locations across Egypt where the observations are made - not one single location.
So, why did no-one see the moon then....were they all off partying or something. I saw the moon last night ok so what was the problem?
Still don't get it :(
Crazycat

Post by Crazycat »

well in the UK its now Eid, mr cc is back to eating again :)
crazy by name.....crazy by nature :snig:
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

Eid Mubarak to everyone
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)