Getting an Egyptian driving licence

Advice, information and discussion about other parts of Egypt.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Sharm4me

Getting an Egyptian driving licence

Post by Sharm4me »

Here’s what’s happened so far….

First thing to do is make at least 3 photo copies of visa, information page in passport, marriage contract, flat contract, international licence and UK licence and 2 passport photos.
Go to the General Hospital with your passport photos and passport to obtain a medical certificate. There’s a check for eyes and stomach! .
Take all these documents to El Tor Traffic Police which is a 1 hour drive from Sharm (everything official is done in El Tor, there are no government offices in Sharm) They take one set of the photocopies and record your application. They send all the papers to Sharm traffic police.

3 days later we had to go to the traffic police in Sharm with another set of the photocopies. We went 3 times in the evening to be told to come back at 9, come back at 9:30 come back at 10 as the police officer wasn't there that we needed to see. When we got back at 10:00 there were 6 people waiting in front of us, we eventually got in to see the guy at 1am. He wanted to know about my husbands job (what that has to do with me wanting a driving licence I don't know) He asked my husband all the questions about me, he only spoke to me once and asked what was my last entry date into Egypt. We were told to wait 10 days and go back to El Tor traffic police to get the licence.

We went back, went through all the rigmarole of them finding the application. A document for the licence needed photocopying and stamping by a government official in another office. Their photocopying machine wasn't working so we had to drive the guy to a photocopying place and then on to the government office, then back to the traffic police. We thought that was it....no! We take the papers to a woman behind a counter to be told that there is a new regulation just come in that a police check has to be made about me, they need another paper stamped in Sharm el Sheikh! They also said they needed a certificate for education from England that I am educated and can read and write!!! Hubby talked us out of having to get that. They then produce another paper that we need to take to the main police in Sharm.

We went there last night with another set of photocopies. They then said we needed to go back to El Tor and get the flat contract notarised!!! but I think hubby has managed to talk us out of having to do that also. Today he has to phone a number they gave him to arrange for this man to come to the flat and check we live there!

All this for a flippin driving licence. I hope they don’t make me do the test as well now. Watch this space……

Lisak

Post by Lisak »

After all of that the test will be a piece of cake.

Only in Egypt eh????
Wealth comes like a turtle and goes away like a gazelle. (Arabic proverb)
LittleLee
United Kingdom

Post by LittleLee »

:lol: i think i would have given up in the first office... (just glad i don't drive) and not in egypt anyway :|
Crazycat

Post by Crazycat »

Im exhausted just reading about it. Here's hoping you get it sorted soon :)
crazy by name.....crazy by nature :snig:
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

A friend here and I went through the same thing 2 years ago. We had to go to the security police and take all different papers, they told us the papers would be back within the week. Three weeks later still no sign of them, I was also registering a brand new car in my name so had trade plates at 100le per day!

We waited and waited, kept going to the offices every day at 9am, while they checked to see if our papers had come back from Cairo. We didn't leave any day before 1pm and we were sick of it plus it was costing a fortune for my trade plates. We started the procedure in January and finally finished it all in March, except the driving licenses. After they had messed us about for so long our tempers were not at the best, so when they said we had to drive through two cones and then reverse back through them, we threw wobblies and walked out telling them to stick it.

As for the license to register my car, I received that after they stuck a hose up the exhaust to check for emission fumes, I said to the man doing it, why don't you check all the cars and buses on the road that are old and get them off the road, I couldn't believe he was checking a brand spanking new car!

I actually asked to meet the General of Traffic Police, I think his name was General Ashraf or Ahmed, I was taken to see him, I asked why we had to go through this procedure considering that in a local magazine there had been an interview with Colonel, that we could take our own license from our country and receive an Egyptian one immediately, he just fobbed me off.

This is a copy of the article from the magazine

******* took a visit to Colonel Ahmed Gawdat Al Dabaa. He is the chief of the Traffic Police Department in the Red Sea District and kindly welcomed us in his office. ****. Informed the colonel about the complaint from so many people, that the speed radar is not accurate in its readings. The colonel said that it is common to hear this from people speeding, and that the radar now is the most modern radar made in Germany. Its accuracy remains within 100% in a radius of 2kms. Colonel Ahmed Al Dabaa said that the Traffic Department will very soon receive a night radar without flash but with night vision and laser. This technology has been especially introduced because people complained about the speeding cars and microbuses operating at night between the Airport and Conrad hotel junction. Colonel Ahmed said that the Traffic Department is now using the most sophisticated modern equipment, such as well equipped patrol cars and motorcycles; renewing the old ones at all the main cities in the Red Sea District. Great efforts are being made to distribute walkie-talkies to the Traffic Policemen so that they can report any incidents on the spot. Many wireless towers are also being built beside the new stations. These are fitted with a special radio frequency reaching 70 km. Therefore it covers the whole district, linking the walkie-talkies to the headquarters in Hurghada. This will upgrade the communications to a maximum. Beside this government is providing the branches and the headquarter with a number of computers.

Policemen are also being given phosphoric vests, helmets and reflectors. To upgrade the safety of the new highways and roads under construction, new traffic signs are being fitted.

We asked Colonel Ahmed about the future development plans. He replied that a piece of land, measuring 2500 m2, in front of the Traffic Department in Hurghada is to be made into a driving school and a workshop for maintenance and technical checkup of the cars. Another 10 hectares on the ring road have been allocated to people wishing to obtain or renew licenses for busses and trucks. This stops learner drivers from entering the Hurghada city.

Another piece of land outside of the city has been dedicated to relocate the present bus station. Also the Traffic Department created 11 new bus-lines for the transportation services and is working on building the stations for them. Colonel Ahmed said that they are in the process of opening an office to provide services to the elderly and to people with special needs.

We also asked about the way the non-Egyptians should apply to gain a driving license. Colonel Ahmed said that they must show their driving license of their original countries, and they will have the Egyptian license at once, but if they don't have a driving license from their country or an international one, they have to go through some steps, like a medical report ?etc.

At the end Colonel Ahmed El Dabaa told us how sorry he felt for the victims in car accidents, and for those who loose their lives trying to cross the street. This can be avoided if everyone follows the traffic rules, and he promised that he will do his duty and his best to keep people safe from accidents which leave dead or crippled people, besides the destruction of the public and privet properties. He is asking every driver to keep to speed limits, ensuring not to drive faster than 60 km/h inside the boundary of any city, not faster than 90 km/h on the high ways, and to put on safety belts when the car is moving. He also stated that it is necessary to check the signal lights and the tiers regularly, because they are the main reason for many deadly accidents. He also instructs drivers to use the full-beam lights on the high ways only, and not to blind the eyes of the drivers coming from the opposite direction.

***** Thanked Colonel Ahmed El Dabaa, and wishes him all the good luck in his difficult task. We salute all Traffic Police Men at the Red Sea district, who are working day and night, in hot or cold weather, to ensure the safety of all residents.

This was from 2003!
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

Goodness me, glad I'm not the only one! My friend got hers a few months back without any hassle at all, she was also registering a new car in her name. Apparently there were two cars coming from the same garage the same day and they only had one set of trade plates so they had to take it in turns to swap plates at checkpoints! I was thinking it would all be plain sailing and really easy....who am I kidding this is Egypt and I should have learned by now that nothings ever easy here.

I agree about the old vehicles on the roads, wonder if they'll ever bring MOT's in here, that would get rid of a lot of vehicles on the roads...
I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

Update....

I got my licence today :)
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Congratulations on the new driving licence, you certainly earned it!!
Lisak

Post by Lisak »

Well done Sharm4me.
Happy driving.
Wealth comes like a turtle and goes away like a gazelle. (Arabic proverb)
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

I didn't have to take the test which is consolation after all the hassle. I will write a synopsis of the procedure later for anybody thinking about getting one.
Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Hurghada Lady »

Marbrouk Owi Owi!
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

Well Done Sharm4me!!!
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
Crazycat