Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz

Post by New Gal »

I have almost finished these books and have loved every second of them.

The characters are so well developed and you come to feel emotions for them as though they were real people you had met.

Now looking for something similar to read so would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance xxx

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Jujey

Post by Jujey »

salam NG,

have u read the alchemist by Paulo Coleho?? Excellent book!!! actually all of his books are fantastic........wonder if i can get any of his books here.

Does anyone know of any bookshops here in hurghada, that sell books written in english??? Also children's books????

I think canada is calling my name for a good shopping spree....i can't find anything here.

take care
salam
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

NG I too have just read this book and really enjoyed it ~ Tonight Im starting the Yacobian Building. Hope its as good.
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
Winged isis

Post by Winged isis »

Mafouz has written many other excellent books. The Yancoubian Building is also excellent. Go over to the Blue Side for lots of other recommendations in this line. ;)
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Jujey, yes have read ‘The Alchemist’, found that gem many years ago on the recommendation of a friend. I’ve also read lots of his others and liked most of them. I know theres a library opening soon in El Gouna, I’ve been asking about bookshops in Hurghada too, I can’t bring many from my massive collection and can’t exist without books to read, just not possible!

Karenh, I remember you saying you were also reading the Cairo Trilogy. Who was your favourite character?? Didn’t it get depressing though towards the end?? Think the first was my favourite, the last one I liked the least.

Winged Isis, I see you still haven’t been able to change your avatar??

I’ve read ‘The Yacobian Building’, really enjoyed that and ‘Girls of Riyadh’ is of a similar vein, also well worth reading.
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

NG I agree the last book I sort of scan read some parts as it seemes to have lost somehting. Not really sure who my favourite was as it went from one to another a few times
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

I agree, think Mahfouz was attempting to show too much of that generation, all the blokes bar Ridwan were constantly falling for women and all the women in the family did nowt but suffer! Much like life today me thinks :roll: ;) :roll: ;)
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

So true ~ just shows some things never change :)
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Things will never change though and that’s mostly the fault of women I think. We are sometimes so scared to make a stand and deviate from the perceived ‘norms’ for female behaviours and if someone does dare to stand up for herself, its usually other women that judge them harshly and are uninformed about the person in question.

We base our opinions of other people and especially women by our own situations and sometimes fail to see that we are only being shown one aspect of a three dimensional person.

Its like the situation with Khadija in the book: shes a hardworking, houseproud and capable young woman but as her sister Aisha is prettier, shes the success even though shes so lazy. I think the author captured Khadija’s personality well though and did show how complex human lives and emotions are.

Its just a shame that on a real life basis, most people just think they are able to pass judgement upon anyone they want without contemplating the impact of this.

Each to their own though eh?!
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

It is so true though most people always judge others by the outside covers rarley do people ignore that and wait until they know what is inside that person. In the case of women if you have the looks and body you are praised and defended, if you are average or below and no figure ~ you are always in the shadows and this was definately portrayed in the book, not just with the girls but also about the sons especially the one that was more like his father in looks with his large nose.
Another thing that I loved about the book was the protayal of the family unit and the importance of it, albeit a bit to strict when his wife was not allowed out even to the mosque.