Hot flushes

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy, Horus

P666ats

Hot flushes

Post by P666ats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:30 am

Hi ladies i am in need of some help, i have been having hot flushes for the last few months and they are getting me down, i have not had a good nights sleep for ages and would love to know if anyone out ther has a clue what i can buy to help me through this? I know they dont have HRT here as i have asked in the pharmacy and they just looked at me as if i had grown two heads. Please if you have any ideas i would be very gratefull.
Thanks in advance

Semsema

Post by Semsema » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:44 am

Oh I do sympathise, mine seemed to last forever!

I will ask around some of my friends and see if they have any suggestions. I suppose with your health problems you will have to be careful what you take?
A day without Sunshine is like a night without Stars.

Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:29 pm

I really feel for you ~ I used sage and it seemed to help, but just when i thought it was over another period pops along! hopefully after 12 months abscence this is the very last!
These are herbal things that can help

black cohosh: an estrogenic herb said to reduce cramps, congestion and hot flashes
wild yam: a medicinal herb containing anti-inflammatory properties that reduces the risk of menopausal arthritis
chaste tree: this herb helps to balance hormones, and can help ward off depression
dong quai: its purported healing properties include reducing estrogen deficiency gingko biloba: decreases fatigue and depression and improves memory
sage: containing plant estrogens, sage can help reduce night sweats and hot flashes
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)

P666ats

Post by P666ats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks ladies for your responces, i went to the pharmacy and explained what was wrong and they tried to sell me licorice, i give up!. The last time i ate that i was on the loo for days.

Goddess

Post by Goddess » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:24 pm

Awwww P666ats!
My best friend over here used to suffer from them terribly. When I'd be over there with her watching tv - it was either like being in an inferno with the heating on - or a wind tunnel with all the ac's and fans going full blast. She had blankets thrown over the backs of all the chairs - and as she'd throw one off, I'd throw one on quick because I knew we were in for another blast of ice!
They were really awful for her - and she tried a fair range of things - Black cohosh was one of them.

You'd have thought they would have had HRT over here though - wouldn't you?? Have you tried asking for a generic name for the drug in the pharmacy - or have you just been asking for HRT? (Says me hoping this does turn out to be a language problem and your pharmacist really does have some stuffed down the back of his counter)
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Hurghada Lady » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi P666ats, they do definitely have HRT here, my friend was buying them at the pharmacy in Luxor. Will try and find out what was the name of them and let you know. ;)

P666ats

Post by P666ats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:06 pm

I have been on the internet looking for a name for them so i could go in and ask, no joy. My pharmacist is pretty good but he said they dont have anything. I am going crazy one minute roasting the next cold. Having a chat to someone today and i could fell myself going red they must have wondered what the hell was wrong. I am dreading the summer with these sweats.

Goddess

Post by Goddess » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:11 pm

And if HL can't find out - I'll ask the women up here. Most have them have lived here for 20 years at least and have gone through menopause here - so surely one of them will know something!

P666ats

Post by P666ats » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Big thanks ladies, didnt have a clue who to ask but you have all been great. x

Nilegoddess

Post by Nilegoddess » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 pm

My best friend in Cairo her husband is Professor of Gynaeo there and I will ask for you, I remember asking her husband for the same help back last year and he suggested Sage tea, he said there are all manner of HRT things out there which will help BUT you must go to a doctor and get checked out first. HRT must not be taken lightly, you must get the best dose/strength for you or it will do nothing, or can make you feel worse.

He perscribed 'Livial' tablets which I bought over the pharmacy counter

P666ats

Post by P666ats » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:57 am

Many thanks, i will speak to the pharmacist and see if he has them.

Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:37 am

The hot flushes are the pits if men only had them instead! one minute your great and feel normal the next its like someones stuck you into a pan of boiling water ~ mine seemed to strat at the neck upwards and then downwards with the temperature still climbing then as quickly as it came it went ~ it never happened when you could cope but always at work, with friends, in bed ~ Oh well
Nile godess is right though if you want to take HRT whichever type you really need to see a doctor first as there are so many different ones at varying strenghts that they could do much more harm than good. This was why I stuck to the more natural ones. There worth a try
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)

Goddess

Post by Goddess » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:59 am

Maybe that explains why you can't buy them over the counter? Maybe they are one of the drugs only available on prescription over here??

I was wondering myself if you'd have to go and see a Gynae to get dosed up. I'm still waiting for answers from the womens group in Alex. Surely one of us will be able to come up with the goods soon.

In the meantime - it might be worth your while starting on the quest to find a good Gynae in Hurgada, just in case that is the route you have to go.

P666ats

Post by P666ats » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Think you may be right gals, i will have to get myself off to the Nile hospital and see the gyn there. Your not kidding about feeling like a pan of boiling water. Mine does the same from the neck up and back down, I'm having one now and feel like stripping off. Thanks. Patsy.

FABlux

Post by FABlux » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

I have looked on the egydoc site http://www.egydoc.com/sites/egydoc.com/main/search.asp & Premarin which I take is listed as not available as are any of the others I could remember :roll: A friend says she was offered Premarin vaginal cream in Luxor but not tablets, don't know whether that would help :?

You have my deepest sympathy, I do not get bad hot flushes but made the mistake of coming off it last month. I left them in the first hotel :oops: & missed 10 days & felt OK so thought I might not need it any more. Wrong!! A few weeks later night sweats, itchy skin I just wanted to scratch off, mood swings & totally unable to think. I stood in the kitchen looking at soup in a saucepan I wanted to use for something else & just panicked because I could not figure out what to do :oops:

Back on again now & normal service has been resumed :)

FABlux

Post by FABlux » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:16 pm

:oops: double post

Lynn

Hot flushes

Post by Lynn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:54 pm

you shud be able 2 get hormone replacement tablets 4 that .

Goddess

Post by Goddess » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Darn it!
I was talking to someone the other day who was talking about her hot flushes and what she was taking for them! I should have pumped her for more info at the time! Completely forgot about this post.

All I remember is she said it wasn't HRT (at least I think she said that ... I was trying to defroth my coffee at the time) and she was taking something starting with an 'L' that I presume she got here.

I'll be seeing her again in a few days so will try to remember to ask.

Hurghada Lady
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Hurghada Lady » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi P666ats,

I went into the pharmacy on Esplanada Mall next door to Macdonalds yesterday while I was waiting for my appointment at the hairdressers, I explained to him about HRT and said they definitely have them here as my friend in Luxor had them from Television Street a few years ago but couldnt remember what they were called. Anyway, he said he thought he knew what I meant it was for woman when periods stop and they go crazy!!!!!!!! Charming :roll:

I explained they weren't for me as I was only 19 :lol: but someone would probably come in and get some soon. He then gave me a lecture about Oestrogen and it was not good it causes problems so not to take it. He said he did have a herbal type tablet that was very good and he would order it and get it in within 24 hours, so he should have it now if you want to pop in and get it. At the end of all this he asked me to marry him, so look out when you get there :roll: It mentions Black Cohosh as being its main ingredient so should be ok and maybe worth a try.

Good luck with it ;)

I will still try and find the other tablets that they had in luxor also.

KLIMADYNON

Detail info about the product:

Packing: 60 tablets.

With over 50 million daily doses taken worldwide, Klimadynon alleviates menopause-related hot flashes, sweating, sleep disruption, anxiety and depressive emotional states. In a clinical trial comparing this black cohosh to hormone replacement therapy, Klimadynon was the first botanical extract to demonstrate in a double-blind placebo-controlled study that it acts as an organspecific phyto-selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM). In this study, Klimadynon’s special extract of black cohosh (BNO-1055) also demonstrated that it had a positive effect on bone resorption markers by stimulating osteoplastin production. Bionorica’s outstanding research on black cohosh was recently recognized in a letter from the NIH’s Office of Dietary Supplements.

How much Klimadynon should I take and how often should I take it?

In the case of Klimadynon Uno 1 tablet per day, taken in the evening, has proved successful. If you take Klimadynon film coated tablets you should best take 2 tablets per day, one in the morning and one in the evening, and if you take Klimadynon drops you should take 30 drops in the morning and 30 in the evening.

It has proved beneficial to take Klimadynon with some liquid (e.g. a glass of water).

How long should I take Klimadynon?

You should take Klimadynon for a longer period of time. Klimadynon is a well-tolerated herbal preparation and is suitable for long-term treatment.

Why should I not take Klimadynon for longer than 3 months without medical advice?

Even plant-based medicines should not be taken for longer than 3 months without medical advice. You should visit your doctor regularly to rule out any other illnesses. This is a purely precautionary measure for the benefit of your health.

When can I expect my symptoms to improve?

Your symptoms will generally improve after 1 or 2 weeks. Our experience has shown that symptoms improve further during continued treatment with Klimadynon.

Won’t I have to take hormones sometime during menopause?

This is an individual decision that you will have to make with the help of your doctor. In any case, you can try to relieve the first typical symptoms (such as emotional imbalance, hot flashes, ...) at the start of menopause by taking Klimadynon and, if this is not sufficient, consult your doctor.

I would like to stop taking hormones but I don’t want to suffer from the typical complaints of menopause. What options do I have?

In this case you should take Klimadynon for about 1 or 2 weeks in addition to your hormone treatment. During this time Klimadynon can begin to take effect so that you can gradually dispense with taking the hormone preparation (phase out the treatment).

What must I bear in mind with respect to estrogen-dependent tumors?

First of all it is important to know that most forms of breast cancer are estrogen-dependent tumors. This means there is a risk that estrogens will stimulate the growth of these tumors.

It has not been conclusively clarified whether extracts from Cimicifuga influence estrogen-dependent tumors. For this reason, patients who are or have been in treatment for an estrogen-dependent tumor should not take Klimadynon. This is also a precautionary measure.

P666ats

Post by P666ats » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi hun, thanks for the info, bless you it must have taken you ages to do all that. I use the very same pharmacist and when i asked him he told me to go to the hospital and see a doctor. I will pop in and ask him about the herbal tablets. I have been taking evening primrose capsules and although they help i am still not sleeping with these sweats. Many thanks.
Patsy