Fibroids Associated with PCOS

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Fibroids Associated with PCOS

Post by CocoaButter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:47 pm

A large study of African-American women indicates that those with PCOS are 65% more likely to suffer from fibroids. We haven't seen studies of other women, but it's likely that women with polycystic ovary syndrome generally tend to have a greater incidence of fibroids than women who do not have PCOS.

Uterine fibroids are the most common non-cancerous tumors in women of childbearing age. Fibroids are made of muscle cells and other tissues that grow in and around the wall of the uterus, or womb.

The risk factors for fibroids appear to be:

* Fibroids tend to grow in women of childbearing age.
* African American women are more likely to get them than women of other racial groups.
* African American women tend to get fibroids at a younger age than do other
* women.
* Women who are overweight or obese have a slightly higher risk. Women who have given birth appear to be at a lower risk for fibroids.

Uterine fibroids do not always cause symptoms. But if you have symptoms, they may include:

* Heavy or painful periods or bleeding between periods
* Feeling "full" in the lower abdomen
* Urinating often
* Pain during sex
* Lower back pain
* Reproductive problems (infertility, multiple miscarriages or early labor)

Conventional treatment for uterine fibroids includes surgery or medications that can slow their growth.

The cause of fibroids is "unknown". However, there is some evidence that an improvement in the quality of your diet will help to prevent fibroids. For example, a study conducted at the Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri in Italy showed that women who ate the most ham and beef had the highest incidence of uterine growths. In contrast, those who consumed more green vegetables, fruit and fish had fewer growths.

I am going in on the 9th and i have had a Fibroid and PCOS now for a long time,but the last month it has over took me life and i am in sheer pain and tired a lot .I got a Fibroid laying down now on my bladder and i cannot tell youhow much pain i am in .I also have high LFT levels .
So i am going in on the 9th to see what they want to do with me .many are saying HYSTERECTOMY i dont know .
Has anyone here been in the same catergory of what i suffer have you had the full works done and how did you cope after ,would love to hear either in a PM if wants it confidential or private
Shukran xxxxx

Image Image

Hurghadapat

Post by Hurghadapat » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm

haven't been there myself but have many friends who have had hysterectomies and all say they wish it had been done earlier instead of putting up with some of the awful symptoms and another bonus no more of the dreaded monthlies :) A couple of them also had their ovaries removed which put them into an early menopause so of course had all the things that go with it but where given HRT to cope with it but that is another subject as i am not sure if HRT is a good thing or bad personally i think just put up with the hot flushes and night sweats not pleasant but at least you not filling your body with some sort of chemical ;)
Always keep your words soft and sweet just in case you have to eat them

CocoaButter
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by CocoaButter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Hurghadapat wrote:haven't been there myself but have many friends who have had hysterectomies and all say they wish it had been done earlier instead of putting up with some of the awful symptoms and another bonus no more of the dreaded monthlies :) A couple of them also had their ovaries removed which put them into an early menopause so of course had all the things that go with it but where given HRT to cope with it but that is another subject as i am not sure if HRT is a good thing or bad personally i think just put up with the hot flushes and night sweats not pleasant but at least you not filling your body with some sort of chemical ;)
hi thankyou for your reply cannot take HRT liver levels high and i wud love to have another baby but i know this is imposssible i was hoping in time yes but never i dont think but for some reason i feel so much cleaner when period has been and gone wiered hey ,but yes ur right i got to see what options are open for me and what after care can help as well ,got a daughter with certtain speical needs .
i let u know how i get on .xxx
Image Image