Fasting: Suhoor and Iftar meals

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Fasting: Suhoor and Iftar meals

Post by New Gal »

Morning all!

So, how did everyone's / everyone's families first fast go?

Mine was ok, last 2 hours I had a banging headace but apart from that, it seemed to go ok!

My stepmum had done samosas, pakora/onion bhaji type things, chips and then lamb curry and chappatis for those that wanted them. I'm rarely in that category lol.

I don't get up to eat prior to keeping the fast, its far too early and I'm not someone who can eat at that time or even when I have just woken up. When Ramadan is in the winter months, its not so bad, you get up, eat and then it was time for school, college, work whatever but getting up at 3?? Me thinks not.

What do you all have planned for tonight's meal??

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Undutchable

Post by Undutchable »

Just want to wish all of you Ramadan Kareem!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Thanks, am trying and its hard lol.

We had traditional food last night, always open fast with dates and water. Then had chicken with spinach and mince with potatoes and peas, eaten with chapattis and a big dollop of natural yogurt.

Missing my toast though, that will be tonight’s meal lol.
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
Karenh
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Karenh »

Ng ~ It must be really hard as your body clock say sleep and you say eat!
Not through fasting, but just being badlly organised I often dont eat from 7.30am till around 8.30/9pm but I do drink heaps of water/coffee. Usually this happen as I dont take a lunch break at work so I can finish at 5 instead of 6 and at weekends, I have too much to do in my lunch hour I just dont have the time, but I think if I was to try to do it and knew that the option of eating/drinking wasnt there I would find it so hard.
A day without laughter is a day wasted! :lol: ;)
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Its honestly not as bad as you may think Karenh, yes you feel a little more lethargic maybe but its not like you are starving or anything. Well, I’m not, ever. I do drink lots of water though so my skin may suffer but the sleep thing is the worst for me so I just don’t get up for the morning ’breakfast’ type of meal.

Karenh, your schedule sounds like you could fast quite easily ;) :D
Jujey

Post by Jujey »

salam gals,

Ramadan Kareem to all of u!! inshallah this Ramadan will bring u many rewards!! and inshallah ur prayers, fasting and du'aa are accepted!!

NG - the prophet mohammed (pbuh) used to always get up for suhoor and eat before fajr....i know it seems hard, but really it's not that bad, and u just get used to it. i hate eating at 3 am, but i force myself to do it. it's all phsycological, u can do it. and just think if u wake up at 3am, u can pray, and at that time Allah is the closest to the earth, and inshallah ur du'aa will be accepted. Just remember sometimes things may seem hard, but Allah promises us so many rewards. getting to heaven isn't easy, and the gates of heaven are surrounded with hardships, and struggles. So we all must remember that this life is nothing, and Allah put us here for 1 reason ....to worship him. This life is so short, but our afterlife is for eternity, so might as well strive to get to heaven in this life, so we don't have to suffer in hell.

Ok was i toooooooo freaky religious????? hehehhehe. just tell me to zip it if i talk too much.

anyways i just made rice, kafta (made from minced beef, onions and spices) and libiyan soup and salad for iftar.........yum it was delish!! and for dessert, i made the best ever chocolate chip cookies.........when u come NG i will make u some!! they are out of this world!

ok adios....gotta go get my brats ready for sleep!
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Hi Jujey, hope you and the family are well, Ramadan Kareem to you all too!

I know that you should get up and eat etc and that you should also pray etc etc but with the job I have, if I was up at 3 and had to come and do a days work…well, it soon turns into a nightmare of sorts. I try and do my best and that’s enough for me, for now.

It may seem a thin excuse to someone as practicing as yourself but we all have our route to God and He is the one that judges, accepts and forgives as necessary.

Appreciate the support though!

Oh and I will hold you to those cookies, I never bake much anymore but love the choc chip cookie that Starbucks do, its so gorgeous!

Have a great day!
Jujey

Post by Jujey »

salam NG,

u are so right, Allah is the one that guides, judges and accepts forgiveness, and we are all guided at different times in our lives. and we all have to remember, no one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. inshallah Allah will guide u and make it easier for u to pray. u know how i started to pray, i just started with 1 prayer, so for like 3-4 weeks, i would always pray asr, until i got used to it, and then i added another prayer, until i got used to praying all 5 prayers. this didn't happen for me until i was in my early twenties.

and we should never be pushed into doing something that our hearts are not ready for.

ok as i am writing this, brat #4 is biting the heck out of my legs.......she is teething, and driving me insane. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh omg i can't type.
btw, i have a sony laptop like the one u just bought, but mine is white.....love it!!!

ok really i can;t type....my kids are all over me.

inshallah we can help eachother become better muslims.

take care and have a good night!!

chocolate chip cookies..........they are almost all gone!!!! hurry up and come and i will make u a fresh batch.

ok salam
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

It’s a while until I come yet hun!! :cry: :cry:
New Gal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by New Gal »

Meant to say! I had toast last night :lol: