Laptop overheats

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: 4u Network, DJKeefy

Sharm4me

Laptop overheats

Post by Sharm4me »

I had a terrible problem in the summer with my laptop overheating and shutting itself down even with air con on and I've raised it off the table. Even now that it's not so hot and if I don't have the air conditioning on it till happens now and again.

Will it eventually harm my computer, I'm scared one day it's going to break and I'll lose everything. :(

I'm not afraid of tomorrow cos I've seen yesterday
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Sounds like you have an AMD Athlon processor not an Intel. They do run hotter.
You can buy a laptop cooler which will help. Basically it is a tray which the laptop sits on and it has built in cooling fans. It raises the laptop up and improves the cooling. It connects to a USB port for power or some have their own power supply. It also gives you more USB ports built in to it. I think they are about £15 to £20 in the Uk but you canget them in Egypt. Try your local computer shop.

One other thing to do, if you have a vacuum cleaner use the small nozzle and suck over the air inlets and outlets to get rid of all the dust that will have been sucked into them.
Bigken

Post by Bigken »

Hi Sharm4me,Bblux is bang on,this is the sort of thing he was on about

just sit the laptop on it and plug it in,the laptop sits up at an angle letting air under it and the fan helps cooling,the one in the photo cost £30 8)
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

Thanks to both of you for your advice, I will try to get one... :)
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

I have brought a mini laptop on my travels - my hubby got one as he was so impressed when we bought one as a gift and has kindly lent it me - it is an asus eepc and is fab- no problems in the heat at all - mind it is intel but so handy and the battery lasts about 3 hours!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
Great as a back up or for travelling and seeems to cope well with the dust and heat
:)
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

Mines got Intel, My husband says it's because it's made in China! these Egyptians seem to have a thing about chinese goods! I just tell him it's only Egypt that gets the rubbish from China!!! :lol: It's a Packard Bell and I bought it in England 2 years ago.
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

Virtually all computer components are made in China now :)
We were building high performance PC's at the Uni several years ago and all the top end motherboards came from China. So, nothing wrong with Chinese computer bits.

If your laptops is 2 years old it certainly will benefit from the vacuum cleaner treatment. I actually dismantled Fran's AMD laptop to clean all the dust and fluff out of it when hers started the same thing earlier in the year. We replaced it with a wizzy new Toshiba with an Intel dual core processor before we came back (at half the Egyptian price)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

I don't have a vacuum cleaner :(
Goddess

Post by Goddess »

Sharm4me wrote:I don't have a vacuum cleaner :(
Lawd! I seem to remember having a conversation just like this on L4U!!! Are you related to SCE??

And how do you not have a hoover? (Says the person who tries never ever to use her hoover and is glad the end fell off a month ago again)
Woo Hoo!!!!! I've got a signature!
BBLUX

Post by BBLUX »

The perfect excuse to persuade your other half that you really need one now :)
We got a mains powered handheld one for about LE150 last year. We are fortunate that our apartment came with a decent Panasonic cleaner included.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
SCE

Post by SCE »

I did have the same problem as you sharm4me! And my solution was: buy a new laptop!!! :lol: Ok, mine was about 3 years old and very heavily used so it was due an update. But the switching itself off bit was just agood excuse ;) I got my self a proper 12 inch little ACER, and I love it :) except that whenever I plug in anything in a usb port that requires a driver, it only works in the port you first plug it in!!! And it doesn't help if you use another port and reinstall the driver. Was really annoying when I put my usb mouse and modem in the same port... could only use one at a time!!! I guess it must be a fault or something. But haven't got time to fix it so have to live with it :(
Sharm4me

Post by Sharm4me »

BBLUX wrote:
The perfect excuse to persuade your other half that you really need one now :)
We got a mains powered handheld one for about LE150 last year. We are fortunate that our apartment came with a decent Panasonic cleaner included.
Think hubby would rather buy me a new laptop (seeing as it's made in China!!) :lol:

SCE....what a pain I think I'd rather put up with it switching itself off...!